[GRASS-user] Large vector file processing

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:03:38 PDT 2015

Moritz,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 24/04/15 09:54, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
>

>> :~ > r.to.vect input=raster_tty output=vector_tty type=area
>> Extracting areas...
>>   100%
>> Writing areas...
>>   100%
>> Building topology for vector map <vector_tty at assessment>...
>> Registering primitives...
>> Killed0000
>>
>> what does this mean?
>>
>> :~ > v.build vector_tty
>> WARNING: Coor file of vector map <vector_tty at assessment> is larger than
>> it
>>           should be (2403996039 bytes excess)
>> Building topology for vector map <vector_tty at assessment>...
>> Registering primitives...
>> Killed0000
>>
>> Question about "larger that it should be": What is this limitation? I
>> guess is related to the specs of my laptop?
>>

> This just means that topology has not been built correctly, which is
> probably due to some memory issues.
>
> See also https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2045.
>
> One option mentioned in this report is to set GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM before
> running r.to.vect in order to limit memory usage.

Thank you for the suggestion, digging deeper I've found also
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2011-January/059175.html
Now trying this option. Meanwhile, would it be useful setting up a wiki
page on "Large vector data processing" similarly to what is in place for
raster files? Or is there already and I overlook it?

@Alexander Muriy : thanks for the suggestion. I ask you to please
contribute a section as soon as I create the page ;-)

Thanks

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.