[GRASS-user] System locale is not usable issue.

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 30 13:21:01 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 3:35 AM, Rodrigo A. León Loya
<rleonloya at geociencias.unam.mx> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  I have trouble with starting grass. I messed up with my .bash_profile and
> the terminal commands and programs running under python were gone (including
> GRASS).. I fixed the other programs and but when i try to start grass the
> next error is printed in the terminal:
>
>  "System locale is not usable. It indicates misconfigured environment.
> Reported error message: unsupported locale setting
> Fix system locale settings and then try again."
>
>   I`m using MAC OS by the way. I tried to uninstall and re-install grass but
> didn´t work. So I don´t now what to do. Thank you very much in advance for
> your help. Have a nice day.

Can you please post the results of these two commands (to be executed
in a terminal):

echo $LC_ALL
echo $LANG

In the startup script there is test for these.

Another thing to try: edit (or delete) the file
$HOME/.grass7/wx

which may contain a line "language;..." <<-- remove from file. Or
delete this wx file which just contains some GUI user setting.

Let us know how it goes,
Markus