[GRASS-user] neither monitor <managed by d.mon command> nor grass_render_imidiate defined

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 19:38:14 PST 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM, Alec Ventura <alecventura at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> So, this error happens when i try to run the d.vect command on python
console:

> g.run_command('d.vect', map='bore0 at Map')
>
> strange is that d.vect runs fine on command console, but as im iterating
on a list, i need to run on python.

What you want to use is Python, not the GUI command console and d.mon as
you are trying below but in Python. I suppose you want to render to a file.
The code should look like something like this:

    gscript.run_command('r.relief', input=raster, output=shaded_relief)
    gscript.run_command('d.mon', start='cairo', output=raster + '.png',
                        width=400, height=400)
    gscript.run_command('d.shade', shade=shaded_relief, color=raster)
    gscript.run_command('d.mon', stop='cairo')

More robust alternative to d.mon are environmental variables:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/cairodriver.html

Rendering to file can be done from Python or from the system command line
(on MS Windows the black one).

Hope this helps, see more comments below,
Vaclav

> but when i tried to run the 'd.mon wx0' command it gives the error:
>
> Command 'd.mon' not yet implemented in the WxGUI. Try adding it as a
command layer instead.

It seems that you are doing this in the GUI command line. That one is meant
for simple tasks and GUI-related things only, so you can't use d.* command
in this way there.

> Any tips? should i go to linux instead?

This should work on any operating system but there are many other reasons
to use Linux and there is many happy Linux users among the GRASS GIS users.

> the problem in that i didnt found a easy install for Grass 7 on Debian,
and the apt-get reference was (last week) pointing to 6.4.4 yet.

I'm not familiar enough with Debian to know how to install latest GRASS. If
the particular distribution doesn't matter for you, you can try Ubuntu.You
need to add a . The instructions are on GRASS GIS website.