[GRASS-user] neither monitor <managed by d.mon command> nor grass_render_imidiate defined

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 07:59:32 PST 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Alec Ventura <alecventura at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I didn't want to put it on a file, at least for now. I want to make a 3d
> boreholes very similar to:
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Automatic-3D-geological-boreholes-representation-automate-v-extrude-from-a-table-my-solution-in-Pythn-td4978801.html
>
> so i would like to add the boreholes to my current interface... the
> problem is: when i run the loop:
> for i in range(len(boreholesList)):
>     boreholeName = "bore"+str(i)
>     g.run_command('v.extract',input=mapWithBuffer, list=i+1,
> output='tmp',type='area', quiet=True, overwrite=True)
>     g.run_command('v.extrude', input='tmp', output=boreholeName,
> zshift=float(boreholesList[i][2]),height=
> float(boreholesList[i][5]),overwrite=True)
>     g.run_command('g.remove', type='vector', name='tmp', flags = 'f')
>     g.run_command('d.vect', map=boreholeName)

Wouldn't patching all the created vector maps together and then displaying
just the one the right thing to do?

> the last command (d.vect) gives an error saing that it needs a monitor, so
> when i run 'd.mon -l' the is no monitor running,

d.vect needs to draw the image somewhere.

> and when i run a 'd.mon start="wx0"' then it starts a new interface where
> i can add the vectors... but then i cant do a 'zoom to layer' command
> (because i dont know how).

d.mon wx0 has a toolbar similar to the one in Map Display. You should be
able to use the various zoom buttons there as well as mouse wheel.

> The ideal would be to use the current interface instead of open a new one
> right?

GUI doesn't know about what is happening in your Python script and it is
not connected to the rendering/monitor system. d.mon serves this role.

> i dont know why the 'd.vect' command requires a monitor on python.

As I said, d.vect needs to draw the image somewhere.

I'm not sure if I understand what behavior you actually expect to see.