[GRASS-user] attempt to define a smaller region

jamaas j.maas at uea.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 05:29:24 PST 2015

I'm a beginner with GRASS, running newest version 7.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux
14.04.

I'm attempting to create a new smaller region, and change the resolution to
something slightly larger.  For some reason the map I get in the GUI display
window is very detailed however when I try to set a new region using
g.region it tells me that there is no detail to do it.

Apologies for all of the detail.

- This is working with raster maps from the UK ordinance survey (OS) system
- Originally downloaded four individual raster maps from OS is a sort of
.asc format
- Then converted them to ARCGIS format using ARCGIS
- Then combined them into one raster using mosiac to raster, then converted
back to .asc
- I've now imported the .asc raster into GRASS and it looks fine, lots of
detail but I want try to do some hydrologic modelling using TOPMODEL so need
to produce and topidx file, but before that I want to get a smaller region
-when I attempt to get a smaller region using g.region I get an invalid
input error.
-when I look at the raster info using g.region -p, there is almost no
information
==========================
(Mon Dec 14 11:36:09 2015)
g.region -p
projection: 99 (Transverse Mercator)
zone:       0
datum:      osgb36
ellipsoid:  airy
north:      1
south:      0
west:       0
east:       1
nsres:      1
ewres:      1
rows:       1
cols:       1
cells:      1
(Mon Dec 14 11:36:09 2015) Command finished (0 sec)
Something doesn't add up, the information must be in the raster because I
can see it, any suggestions as to what I've done wrong or how to extract the
correct region using UK british national grid references?

Thanks for any suggestions pointing me in the right direction.