[GRASS-user] v.out.postgis dropping cats

Mark Wynter mark at dimensionaledge.com
Tue Feb 10 17:36:10 PST 2015

Hi list

Context is I’m running v.net.allpairs over a large road network - the output is  all combination origin - destination pairs, and the individual line segments that make up a journey path.  Individual line segments will appear more than once where they’re common to more than 1 journey paths.

I’m running PostgreSQL as the db driver.

If I v.out.postgis, its reassigning cats - which fouls my results.  See message below.

If I v.out.ogr, I don’t experience this problem - except it is unworkably slow e.g. 25 mins for circa 10000 features.  The slow speed writing to file, or writing STOUT when PG Driver I haven’t got to the bottom of either?

v.out.postgis -t is my preferred option, and I then join the attribute tables in PostgreSQL using the cat values - which avoids shovelling data unnecessarily between PostGIS > grass >PostGIS

WARNING: Feature has more categories, using category 9802 (from layer 1)
WARNING: Feature has more categories, using category 99 (from layer 1)
WARNING: Feature has more categories, using category 9802 (from layer 1)
WARNING: Feature has more categories, using category 99 (from layer 1)
 100%
WARNING: Feature has more categories, using category 9802 (from layer 1)
100 features without category or from different layer skipped
Building topology for vector map <temp_8pg at PERMANENT>...
Using external data format 'PostgreSQL' (feature type 'linestring')
Building pseudo-topology over simple features...
Registering primitives...
6613 primitives registered
37675 vertices registered
Number of nodes: 4710
Number of primitives: 6613
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 6613
Number of boundaries: 0
Number of centroids: 0
Number of areas: 0
Number of isles: 0
v.out.postgis complete. 6613 features (linestring type) written to
<temp_8pg>.

Hope someone can help - I’m at a critical point in the analysis where I need to scale out the solution.

Kind regards
Mark