[GRASS-user] Default method of rasterizing in v.to.rast

RichardCooper richtcooper at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 04:05:17 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to determine the default method of rasterization used by v.to
rast.

In the v.to.rast manual it states in relation to the  -d option, that 'All
cells touched by the line will be set, not only those on the render path',
but I'm not certain which method is being used by default.

I came across a paper by  Biagi and Negretti
<http://geomatica.como.polimi.it/workbooks/n2/articoli/lbmn.pdf>   * which
describes how by default vectors are rasterized in GRASS  5. The latter
authors refer to the 'center' method as being the standard GRASS command in
5.0 (p. 4). Is this used in GRASS 7? From my observation (in the Map
Display), by default, vector area appear to be rasterized if the center of
the grid cell falls within the area boundary?

I haven't checked through the code, but maybe someone has some knowledge on
the history of v.to.rast?

Cheers,
Richard

*http://geomatica.como.polimi.it/workbooks/n2/articoli/lbmn.pdf