[GRASS-user] Odd r.mask behaviour (v6.4.2 and v6.4.3)

Michael Spencer spencer.mike.r at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 07:56:16 PST 2015

No problem.

The working mask is based on a DEM (
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/products/terrain-50.html),
created with:

r.reclass input=DEM at Permanent output=DEM_reclass at Permanent rules=elev.txt

elev.txt
0 thru 150 = 0
150 thru 300 = 150
300 thru 450 = 300
450 thru 600 = 450
600 thru 750 = 600
750 thru 900 = 750
900 thru 1050 = 900
1050 thru 1200 = 1050
1200 thru 1500 = 1200

The none working mask uses a raster based on the above, created using:

# in A mapset
r.mask -o input=viewshed maskcasts='*'
r.mapcalc 'subset=DEM_reclass at Permanent'

Strictly speaking, this step was done via spgrass6 as I have 145 subsets to
apply:
lapply(st[,1], function(i){
   # Which site?
   print(i)
   # Mask to LOS
   system(paste0("r.mask -o input=", i, " maskcats='*'"))
   # Reclass via mapcalc
   system(paste0("r.mapcalc '", i, "_elev=Terrain50_SSGB at PERMANENT'"))
})

However, The rasters I want to mask exist in B mapset and I understand the
mask and rasters to be applied to need to be in the same mapset, so I have:
g.copy rast='subset at A',subset
prior to applying the mask