[GRASS-user] Importing USGS' wrs2_descending Shapefile

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sun Jan 18 06:10:08 PST 2015

Nikos Alexandris:

Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> I think that their overlapping areas cannot be represented as pure
> >> topological model.

> > Right.

Markus Metz:

> Yes, overlapping areas can be represented as a topological model
> through M:N mapping: each area can belong to several categories,
> several areas can have the same category. If you want to get the
> coverage for a particular Landsat scene, just select the path and row
> with where="PATH = x and row = y". See also the manual of v.buffer for
> a similar example.

That is fine for a simple case.  I want to build an easy way
of trimming many Landsat scenes, after they are imported in GRASS' db, each scene in
its own Mapset (using this currently:
<https://github.com/NikosAlexandris/i.landsat.import>).

If a scene is "there", then we have it's center coordinates
(specifically, the useful info, at this point, will be the output of
`g.region -gcl |grep center_l`).

Using, then, something like <ttps://github.com/robintw/LatLongToWRS>, we
get the ID of the tile in question.  The ID, represented by the
combination of Path and Row, is a safe option.

Having the ID will help to select the tile of interest, create a MASK
and trim.  All a user needs to feed to the module,
would be the name of names of Mapset(s) of interest. Basta.

Landsat users, wouldn't need to re-import manually for each and every
case the tiles from the official Shapefile.

> >> Hence, you need to maintain them (AFAIK it is the -c option in v.in.ogr).
> >> Please correct me if I am wrong.

> For this shapefile, original polygons can not be maintained (incorrect
> boundaries, centroids exceeding number of areas).

But there must be a solution to this.  Forget/erase all centroids.  Let
the script select all polygons which will assembly the ID of interest,
create a MASK (or MASKs) based on them, trim, remove MASK(s).

Maybe, it's only necessary to treat for boundaries?

Nikos