[GRASS-user] Importing USGS' wrs2_descending Shapefile

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 01:02:21 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Nikos Alexandris
<nik at nikosalexandris.net> wrote:
> Nikos Alexandris:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> I think that their overlapping areas cannot be represented as pure
>> topological model.
>

> Right.

Yes, overlapping areas can be represented as a topological model
through M:N mapping: each area can belong to several categories,
several areas can have the same category. If you want to get the
coverage for a particular Landsat scene, just select the path and row
with where="PATH = x and row = y". See also the manual of v.buffer for
a similar example.

>> Hence, you need to maintain them (AFAIK it is the -c option in v.in.ogr).
>> Please correct me if I am wrong.

For this shapefile, original polygons can not be maintained (incorrect
boundaries, centroids exceeding number of areas).

Markus M