[GRASS-user] r.cost: exact meaning of percent_memory ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jan 22 05:30:53 PST 2015

I am trying to understand the 'percent_memory' option in r.cost. In the
man page it says: "The amount of map to hold in memory at one time can
be controlled with the percent_memory option. For large maps this value
will have to be set to a lower value.".

IIUC, this would mean that if I have a region of X DCELL cells, I would
need: X*8 bytes of memory, or ?

So if memory available is > X*8 I should be able to use
percent_memory=100 (or at least 75). Is that correct ?

Is there a special reason why r.cost doesn't use a "memory" parameter
instead of percent_memory ? IMHO, the former is a bit easier to handle
for the average user.

Moritz