[GRASS-user] v.to.rast

patrick s. patrick_gis at gmx.net
Thu Jul 30 01:17:37 PDT 2015

Markus

I tested the approach you proposed, but seems to be very slow for large
datasets: I am processing ~1000.000 points of observation on a 25m-Grid
across Switzerland, where only few cells have multiple points inside.
While /v.to.rast/ takes a few minutes for conversion, the combination
"/v.out.ascii input=pt output=- column=VAL | r.in.xyz input=- z=4
output=pt method=sum/" has been running for multiple hours and is still
in progress.

Is there any alternative to run this conversion? I need it to run
neighborhood analyses as kernel density with population field, i.e.
/r.neighbors in=pt out=pt_dens -c size=300 meth=sum/. Maybe there is an
approach to directly use the vector data and avoid conversion- something
as /v.neighbors meth=sum/?

Thanks for you help,
Patrick