[GRASS-user] From Landsat radiance (W/m2*sr*µm) to Global horizontal irradiance (W/m2) for mere mortals...

Yann Chemin ychemin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:48:52 PDT 2015

hey Andres

I did not know the definition of GHI:
http://www.3tier.com/en/support/solar-prospecting-tools/what-global-horizontal-irradiance-solar-prospecting/
The radiation reaching the earth's surface can be represented in a number
of different ways. Global Horizontal Irradiance (GHI)
<http://www.3tier.com/en/support/glossary/#ghi> is the total amount of
shortwave radiation received from above by a surface horizontal to the
ground. This value is of particular interest to photovoltaic installations
and includes both Direct Normal Irradiance (DNI)
<http://www.3tier.com/en/support/glossary/#dni> and Diffuse Horizontal
Irradiance (DIF) <http://www.3tier.com/en/support/glossary/#dif>.

irradiance=incoming solar radiation
Landsat radiance=reflected solar radiation
It looks from the definition of GHI that solar farming needs r.sun

to answer to your question,
- steradian (sr) is a "solid angle" of conic form, to which a circle
applies for a plan projected footprint.
- micro-meter (µm) is a spectrum value for the middle of the Landsat band
used.

Cheers,
Yann