[GRASS-user] Linking multidimensional data to a single point

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 16 15:04:15 PDT 2015

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Andy Wickert wrote:

> So would this be adding additional SQL database tables as additional
> "layers" associated with a GRASS GIS vector data set? I had thought that
> the layers also needed to be linked to vector points... so I'm guessing
> that this would still be linking outside SQL tables to the GRASS table?

Andy,

   Nope. Additional tables to the same map/layer. You have a map of data
collection locations. Perhaps you have other layers/coverages of roads, land
use/land cover, even a raster of the terrain (based on a DEM). To any of
these layers you can have as many relational database tables as is
appropriate to the chunks of data you have associated with each feature on a
single layer.

   You are adding attribute data to each point on your one map. That's done
behind the scenes in SQLite and is not visible on the map.

   Depending on your use of this application, you might use the discharge or
sediment composition data to procues heat maps of intensities, or do other
kewel stuff with your data, but you'll probably end up analyzing your data
with R and producing spiffy plots to accompany the spatial analyses you run.

Rich