[GRASS-user] grass program compilation

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue May 5 05:03:48 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 10:23 PM, alassane toure <atourej at gmail.com> wrote:

> Group,
> I need your help to start developing new functions based on existing ones and GRASS libraries. My short term goal is to be able to compile the test program r.example.
> I first started by installing the binary using the followings on Ubuntu:
>
> (1)
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:grass/grass-stable
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install grass7
>
> (2) Because I needed the libraries, I downloaded grass-7.0.0.tar.gz and followed instructions provided in "http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu"
>
> However when I issued the command...
>
> sudo make install
>
> The system response was...
>

> alassane at alassane-MS-7593:~/Downloads$ sudo make install
> [sudo] password for alassane:
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
>
> Hi Alassane,

perhaps you are in a wrong directory? You should be in the directory where
you unpacked the archive. You can also download the repository with
subversion so that you can update GRASS easily [1]. Have you followed the
other steps listed here [1], like configure and make? There are necessary
before you can run make install.

[1] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#GRASS_GIS

Cheers,
Anna