[GRASS-user] Summer school: SPATIO-TEMPORAL ANALYSIS AND BIG DATA PROCESSING USING FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE

Giuseppe Amatulli giuseppe.amatulli at gmail.com
Tue May 5 19:54:04 PDT 2015

HI,
Apologies for cross-posting:

*spatial-ecology* in collaboration with Department of Ecology, Evolution,
and Marine Biology <https://www.eemb.ucsb.edu/> at University of
California, Santa Barbara <http://www.ucsb.edu/> is organizing a Summer
school

*Summer school: SPATIO-TEMPORAL ANALYSIS AND BIG DATA PROCESSING USING FREE
AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE *(basic and advanced levels)

Over the last few decades there has been an explosion in the availability
of data for environmental research, and in particular for spatio-temporal
analysis. We are now able to address a number of important questions, both
new and old, with unprecedented rigor and generality. Leveraging these
exciting new data streams requires tools and increasingly complex
workflows. This 6-day course introduces a set of free and open source
software (BASH, AWK ,GDAL, GRASS, R, Python, PKTOOLS, OFGT) to perform
spatio-temporal analysis and modelling of environmental data in a Linux
environment. We also introduce multi-core, cloud and cluster computation
procedures using High Performance Computing - Amazon Web Services. The
course consists of a set of lectures and practical hands-on sessions in
which participants perform spatial and temporal analysis using Geographic
Information System and Remote Sensing concepts. Although courses focuses on
the command line instead of the graphical user interface, *no prior
experience with programming or command line interfaces is assumed or
required*. To cater to students with prior programming experience, we will
hold parallel sessions that introduce more advanced material (e.g. parallel
processing) . Our main focus is on teaching self learning and problem
solving more than the use of specific tools (see: our teaching method
<http://www.spatial-ecology.net/giuseppe/publications/Amatulli_et_al_OGRS.pdf>
) so participants will be able to progress and adapt to learn the newest
available data science techniques.

*Dates/Location: 16-17-20-21-22 of July / Santa Barbara
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/University+of+California,+Santa+Barbara/@34.413963,-119.848947,14z/data=%214m2%213m1%211s0x0:0x4e956b7e5cb6cec2>
- USA California.*

Registration & info at www.spatial-ecology.net
<http://www.spatial-ecology.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:upcomingSantBab>

--
Giuseppe Amatulli, Ph.D.

Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University.
Jetz Lab, OML Room 405

P.O. Box 208106
165 PROSPECT ST
New Haven, CT 06520-8106