[GRASS-user] grass6.4.6 on debian 8

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Nov 7 03:36:59 PST 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Vincent Bain <bain at toraval.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
> Trying to install grass-6.4.6svn on a fresh debian jessie, I have no
> errors during compilation/installation.

While I am all for fixing 6.4, is there a reason that you cannot
switch to GRASS GIS 7? Just curious...

> But when I launch grass64, no
> gui opens up, and I get the following error message on the terminal :

>                   File
>                 "/usr/local/grass-6.4.6svn/etc/wxpython/nviz/workspace.py", line 22, in <module>
>                     from nviz import wxnviz
>                   File
>                 "/usr/local/grass-6.4.6svn/etc/wxpython/nviz/wxnviz.py",
>                 line 49, in <module>
>                     sys.stderr.write(_("3D view mode: %s\n") % e)
>                 UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3
>                 in position 58: ordinal not in range(128)

While I have no special idea (it will be about char encoding), can it
be that you use it in French locale?

I found something similar fixed in r52329. (btw, such "strange"
references always refer to code changes, in this case
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/52329 )

Markus