[GRASS-user] seeking advice for additional scripts

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:59:43 PDT 2016

Hi List,

I'm seeking advice on best-practices for where/how to add minor custom scripts to GRASS.

For example, I'd like be able to run 1 command and see a raster with legend. This is almost supported by "d.rast.leg", but it crashes if no monitors have been started. So I'd like to add "d.rast.legend", or "my.rast.leg" that starts a monitor if needed, then calls "d.rast.leg"

Where should this script go, and do you have advice on what language to use? My first thought was to make it a bash shell script and put it in ~/bin/ or ~/bin/grass/ and add that to GRASS_ADDON_PATH. Is there standard location for things like this?

And should it be in Python or bash? Seems like either works right now, but will bash be phased out in the future?

Thanks,

  -k.