[GRASS-user] v.dissolve on multiple items/controlling the output

Uwe Fischer gisfisch at t-online.de
Thu Apr 28 23:20:17 PDT 2016

Hello list,

I have two questions concerning v.dissolve. As far as I can see, there can
be only one single column be specified as dissolve item. But I need to
dissolve polygons using several items (up to 6) in one stroke. I checked out
v.extract, too, hoping that a SQL statement might help me out, but I can
only use a WHERE clause (not a GROUP BY clause). Maybe it could help to
produce one special concatenated dissolve item before running v.dissolve,
but I was hoping to find a more "elegant" way.

Second, how can I determine if the output of v.dissolve is Multipart or
Singlepart? In my special case, I need both (one for map labeling, one for
area statistics). I could not find an option to set Singlepart or Multipart.

Thanks a lot and best regards, Uwe