[GRASS-user] Working with LiDAR data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 29 15:11:00 PDT 2016

   I've a project involving a very small area (only a few hectares in size)
and I need topographic and flow data for it. Fortunately, abundant LiDAR
data are available for the area from 2007, 2009, and 2010. This will let me
determine if there are any changes in that period which I very much doubt.
Anyway, ...

   I'm studying the wiki's LiDAR page to determine how best to proceed. My
data are in ESRI grid format, not LAS format. For example, the Bare_Earth
2007 subdirectory contains these files:

ls Bare_Earth/2007/be45123b1/
dblbnd.adf  log           prj.adf  w001001.adf
hdr.adf     metadata.xml  sta.adf  w001001x.adf

   It's been several years since I've worked with topographic data in this
format and I don't recall which module imports them. Please point me in the
right direction. Also, pointers for the optimal modules for creating contour
lines and flow are appreciated because I'm confident much has improved since
I last did topographic and hydrological modeling.

   Also, on the wiki page the top two references (Detailed description: here
(FOSS4G 2006) and Summarised version: LiDAR filtering with GRASS) have
broken links.

TIA,

Rich