[GRASS-user] Working with LiDAR data

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:19:22 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   I've a project involving a very small area (only a few hectares in size)
> and I need topographic and flow data for it. Fortunately, abundant LiDAR
> data are available for the area from 2007, 2009, and 2010. This will let me
> determine if there are any changes in that period which I very much doubt.
> Anyway, ...
>
>   I'm studying the wiki's LiDAR page to determine how best to proceed. My
> data are in ESRI grid format, not LAS format. For example, the Bare_Earth
> 2007 subdirectory contains these files:
>
> ls Bare_Earth/2007/be45123b1/
> dblbnd.adf  log           prj.adf  w001001.adf
> hdr.adf     metadata.xml  sta.adf  w001001x.adf

these were probably derived from lidar, but this is a raster format,
so you can import them in standard way using r.in.gdal/r.import

If you would get the original las files, you could have more control
over the processing if that's desired.

>   It's been several years since I've worked with topographic data in this
> format and I don't recall which module imports them. Please point me in the
> right direction. Also, pointers for the optimal modules for creating contour
> lines and flow are appreciated because I'm confident much has improved since
> I last did topographic and hydrological modeling.

for contours use r.contours and for flow accumulation use r.watershed,
but depends what exactly you want do. Some of these topics are covered
for example here:
http://ncsu-geoforall-lab.github.io/geospatial-modeling-course/grass/

Best,

Anna