[GRASS-user] Working with LiDAR data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 29 15:51:32 PDT 2016

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016, Anna Petrášová wrote:

> If you would get the original las files, you could have more control
> over the processing if that's desired.

Hi, Anna,

   I don't know if the original las files are available; I'll ask the agency
for them (and I have a las compression library that reduces storage volume
for the .las files.)

   As I'm learning about LiDAR data I've no idea what I need in terms of
processing. These data are quite different from the 10m DEMs I've used for
years.

> for contours use r.contours and for flow accumulation use r.watershed, but
> depends what exactly you want do. Some of these topics are covered for
> example here:
> http://ncsu-geoforall-lab.github.io/geospatial-modeling-course/grass/

   OK, then, nothing significant has changed external to the modules.

Thanks very much,

Rich