[GRASS-user] Grass: Finding depression from contour

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Dec 11 10:05:44 PST 2016

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Stuart Edwards <stuarte9 at icloud.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 11, 2016, at 7:22 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> I have taken your question as motivation to add an example to the
>> manual page and updated it on the GRASS GIS Web server right away:
>>
>> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.fill.dir.html#examples
>>
>> It shows how to run sink-filling and how to identify the filled areas.
> That's a very nice result - I've struggled with this problem in the past.  Arc has a function 'sink' that simply provides a map of - you guessed it - sinks, and in the FOSS world, Whitebox has a similar (actually better) function that I generally resort to.

Now you know three more :-) r.fill.dir., r.param.scale and r.geomorphon

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.fill.dir.html
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.param.scale.html
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/addons/r.geomorphon.html

>  It would be nice to have a real GRASS  'sink' function - especially useful for the study of karst landscapes.

A simple wrapper script would do the job I suppose.

Markus