[GRASS-user] Selecting starting points for r.flow

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 03:52:36 PST 2016

Hi Vincent,

Would r.drain work? It allows multiple pairs of initial locations.

I had a similar issue - I wanted to extract a single flowline from a watershed. I think the correct way to do this is r.drain. But I wanted to compare it to results derived from r.watershed, and the flow algorithm from r.watershed and r.drain are different.

My solution was to use r.stream.extract to extract all the streams, and then build a mask, and then run r.drain on the DEM with the mask. This forced r.drain to follow the same flowpaths as those generated from r.watershed.

Perhaps something similar might help,

  -k.