[GRASS-user] PostgreSQL raster and vector import

patrick s. patrick_gis at gmx.net
Wed Feb 10 09:01:50 PST 2016

Thanks for the confirmation, Stefan.

How can r.external be used for PostGIS than- if this concerns all
PG-Rasters?

Concerning the workflow: good hint to use VRT and also to have WCT. Will
need to check that.

My reason to use PG is to have a datastorage which can be connected to
multiple software, without having to run these from within GRASS (R,
QGIS, ArcGIS, own PostgreSQL functions, bash-scripts,....).
Unfortunately GRASS-format is not supported by all software and PG has
multiple additional features of interest (User control, Indexing,
Stability, Comments,  Schemas, Views,.....). Last not least I have some
WebGIS-applications that make use of PG-views and allow a visualisation
of different contents through simply changing the content of a view,
i.e. the link to data.

Currently I load from db to GRASS, run all processes inside GRASS which
depend on the GRASS-functions and save my data to db at the end. Works
ok for vectors, even if I need transform them to topology for each
process (v.external does not support of all functions to my knowledge
and was very slow in the past). However my rasterdata needs to be stored
in local folders and loaded from there which works fine, but appears to
be a bit inconsistent with the rest of the workflow. So I thought it
might be time to make use of the new PostGIS-RASTERS.

Happy on any comment. And sorry of this description is a bit confused.

Patrick