[GRASS-user] GRASS unofficial addon installation

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Jan 2 03:50:55 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Panagiotis Mavrogiorgos
<pmav99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is the best way to install an "unofficial" GRASS addon i.e. one
> not-hosted at the official SVN repository?

You can specify non-standard repositories in

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/g.extension.html

(note that the version in G7.1 is quite advanced compared to that
included in G7.0.x)

> I just checked "g.extension -d" and AFAIK what you essentially need to do in
> order to install a "single" extension (i.e. not a toolbox) is to checkout
> the repository and issue make & make install with the correct arguments. I.e
> something like this:
>
> make \
>     MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/lib/grass70 \
>     RUN_GISRC=/tmp/tmpXuk4Se \
>     BIN=/checkout_dir/bin \
>     HTMLDIR=/checkout_dir/docs/html \
>     RESTDIR=/checkout_dir/docs/rest \
>     MANBASEDIR=/checkout_dir/docs/man \
>     SCRIPTDIR=/checkout_dir/script \
>     STRINGDIR=/checkout_dir \
>     ETC=/checkout_dir/etc
>
> make \
>     MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/lib/grass70 \
>     ARCH_DISTDIR=/checkout_dir \
>     INST_DIR=/home/grassuser/.grass7/addons \
>     install
>
> Is this correct? Are there any caveats that I need to know about?

Looks like overly complicated to me.
This job is essentially done by g.extension.

> with kind regards,
> Panos
>
> PS, best wishes and a happy new year to everybody :)

Happy new Year!

Markus