[GRASS-user] home directory for import files for grass 7.02 on linux

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:01:38 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Jim Maas <j.maas at uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for this, however it seems to work for the current session only.
> If I save the file and exit, shutting down grass completely, and then it
> start it again, it reverts to ~/.  Am I doing something wrong?

No you are not, this is how it is meant to behave. It uses whatever
directory is the current one when started. Usually if you start application
from menu or icon it gets user's home as the current directory. If you open
terminal it is set to your home directory unless you did some special
settings. If you cd in the terminal somewhere and then run GRASS, it will
take the current directory.

Ubuntu shows recent directories in the GUI if you use the cd command with
parameters in the GUI Command Console (not different behavior for cd in the
real command line). For terminal you can make an aliases for cds to you
favorite directories.

In theory, GRASS GIS could remember the last directory used but it would be
inconsistent with behavior will all the other tools. It might be more
applicable for GUI but there it might be better to remember several
recently used directories rather than change the default in the file
dialog. You can open a ticket [1] to suggest this improvement and discuss
it more.

Vaclav

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/