[GRASS-user] reference for publications?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jun 10 08:56:37 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was actually recently thinking about a need to have citation for every
> module. Perhaps this was already discussed.

Not too much but I think the same. Each module needs to come with its
own "How to cite" section which could be autogenerated if not already
present in the HTML page.

> Many modules (in core or in
> addons) have associated paper. Now it is often in REFERENCES (if at all) but
> it is not clear that this is the way to cite it because there are also the
> actual references used to write the module.

Agreed.

> A special section CITE
> AS/CITATION would be more explicit. The content could be generated using
> `r.slope.aspect --citation` (or `r.slope.aspect --cite-as`) and the
> information could be stored in the module together with module description.
> Alternatively, the section can be just hand written as the REFERENCES
> section but the flag might give us more options related to defaults or
> alternative citations.

I suggest to manually add the respective citation only where
appropriate, otherwise (in most cases) autogenerate it. Where it
doesn't fit then, it could be manually overridden.

> Should we have a ticket to track this?

Yes.

Markus