[GRASS-user] Fwd: v.label utf8 possible?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:33:48 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Robert Kuszinger <kuszinger at giscom.hu>
wrote:

> QUESTION: Is Python a must or could I live on bash/grep and other *N*X
> tools? Now it is in bash. I don't really know python. Well not even bash
> but at least I have some practice with that.

It depends what is the end goal. If the goal is to supply other users with
starting point for their scripts, then Bash is fine. Same applies if the
goal is to provide developers with ideas about what can be developed.
However, if you would like to create a ready-to-use tool which can be
published in GRASS GIS Addons, distributed to users on various operating
systems, and maintained in the long term by various people, then Python is
a better a basically a necessary choice. I think that the Addons option has
additional advantages; one being creation of a better interface on the way.

(Normally I work in Smalltalk but that won't help here :) )

In that case, Bash is better :)