[GRASS-user] Help with DEM, Raster and Vector export to VTK / Paraview

Vincent Bain bain at toraval.fr
Mon Mar 7 23:45:25 PST 2016

Hi David,

(besides your latest private message, I post a reply on the mailing
list)

If I understand correctly, your concern is about extracting vector and
raster data from GRASS in order to add them to a Google Earth 3d view
(I'm not familiar with the latter, sorry).

I guess my very rough addon v.out.blend can only be of little help for
you, except that you may explore its content, the code is quite well
commented; the main issue for you is that the script performs a
shrinkage+translation to output so it can fit blender units system
(blender has a weir behavior when working with high values cartesian
coordinates). If you need to preserve original coordinates, you can run
the attached modified script, where it is possible to specify dx, dy,
dz, scale values.

On the other hand what may be interesting for you is the ability of the
script to turn a 3d point cloud (e.g. extracted from your DEM) to a TIN.
The script performs it via pvpython, but there are multiple
alternatives...

Another thing I would suggest you is to have a try at the blenderGIS
blender addon:
https://github.com/domlysz/BlenderGIS

If you are already familiar with blender, it surely will be much easier
and faster to compose your different scenes (layered raster/vector data)
from within blender then export results as .dae files.

Hope this helps,
Vincent.