[GRASS-user] GRASS GIS 7.03 for Mac OS X, problem with wxPython (missing)

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Mar 15 06:03:44 PDT 2016

Adam Dershowitz <adershowitz at exponent.com> writes:

> If people are avoiding a useful system upgrade because of a single
> application, that indicates that the application is important.
> One of the great things about GRASS is that it runs cross platform.  It
> would be a big shame to give that up.  I hope that the project can move
> forward to keep Mac OS support.

I definitely hope so. It is just that among the developers, not many are
using OS X (I am not a developer)!

It is interesting, that GRASS is the only program I know / use, which
does not run under El Capitan. Most of the others had hick ups, but the
problems were solved (XTraFinder is an exception) eventually, and none
requires disabling of SIP.

I don't really understand where the problem with SIP comes in (except of
the DYN_LIB variable?), as what GRASS is doing, nowhere interferes with
the system (XTraFinder uses code Injection to change the behaviour of
the Finder - so that is different).

> I¹ve never used docker, but was just checking up on, and it doesn¹t appear
> to be free, nor does it appear to work on Macs.  I could be wrong about
> either, but GRASS runs natively so well, that there really should not be a
> need to give that up.

See https://www.docker.com/ - docker is open source and it runs on Mac
https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/mac/ .

But I completely agree that GRASS should stay multi-platform - but I
guess something in the compilation / packaging / running structure has
to change for this.

Cheers,

Rainer