[GRASS-user] measure distance on d.mon without g.gui?

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Fri Mar 18 07:20:13 PDT 2016

Hi,

I usually run GRASS from the command line (via Emacs), and create maps
via d.mon. Something seems to have changed since last I did this (quite
a while back), and I can't figure out how to measure distances on my
map.

For example, if I open a monitor and plot a map:

  d.mon start=wx0
  d.vect map=states type=boundary

I then want to interactively measure a distance between two points on
the map. So I select the 'Analyze map' button, click and drag to draw my
line, and ... nothing. (I used to do this from the command line via
d.measure, which is gone now?) The line is drawn, but I get no output,
either on the map, in the status bar, or in the terminal, to indicate
how long the line is. The help suggests that the distance will be
displayed in the command output window frame, but there isn't one - can
I open this somehow?

Alternatively, if I start from

  g.gui

And build my map via the GUI, I do have a command output window where
measurements are reported. But if I do this, I can't issue drawing
commands from the command line anymore, and have to use the GUI.

Have I missed a something, or is interactively querying maps now only
available via the GUI?

Best,

Tyler
GRASS 7.0.3 (2016) installed via Debian package grass 7.0.3-2

--
plantarum.ca