[GRASS-user] Launch spyder from the GRASS Shell in Windows 7

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:11:20 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 9:56 AM, r.bushroot <r.bushroot at outlook.com> wrote:

> In Linux I managed to do that by simply typing the following command in the
> GRASS Command Shell:
> /spyder -w . 2>/dev/null &./

On Linux there is one Python managed by the Linux distribution. Both GRASS
and Spyder are using it including its installed/associated packages. GRASS
just adds some extra packages to the PYTHONPATH. This is why it *just
works* on Linux.

> In Windows I tried typing the following command in the GRASS Command Shell:
> /\Users\user.name\Anaconda2\Scripts\spyder.exe/
>
> However, I got this error message:
> /Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Users\user.name\Anaconda2\Scripts\spyder-script.py", line 1, in
> (module)
>     from spyderlib import start_app
> Import Error: No module named spyderlib/
>
> Typing the same command (/\Users\user.name\Anaconda2\Scripts\spyder.exe/)
> in
> the default Windows Command Shell (cmd.exe) lauches Spyder without any
> problems.
>
> *Question:
> What I am doing wrong?

On MS Windows, every application usually installs its own Python. Each
Python has its own set of installed packages. OSGeo4W has some and Anaconda
has some other. spyder.exe probably expects to find spyderlib in the
installed packages but it is using Python installed with OSGeo4W.

> How can I start spyder from the GRASS Shell in Windows?*

You can try to add the path to spyderlib (and any other package needed) to
PYTHONPATH. This will mix both Python installations and may not work.