[GRASS-user] why is v.build.all (and many others) a windows batch file and not an executable?

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:25:00 PDT 2016

> I attached a couple txt files (I hope they don't get striped off...) listing the GRASS modules in the "bin" directory - one lists all of the ".exe" modules and one lists all of the ".bat" modules. Why are there both formats? How are we supposed to run (shell) scripts calling the modules? It just doesn't make sense having the two different formats in the same folder... all of the modules should be executables or all of the modules should be Windows Batch files. Having the mix makes it very hard to program.

sorry I don't fully understand your question. The `bin` directory
contains executables, in other words programs (modules) which are
added to the PATH when GRASS is starting. The exe files are binary
executables (compiled C modules). The bat files are wrappers around
Python modules (same as it was in GRASS 6 for Bash modules). Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa