[GRASS-user] why is v.build.all (and many others) a windows batch file and not an executable?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Tue May 3 13:12:45 PDT 2016

Bartolomei.Chris-2 wrote
> I attached a couple txt files (I hope they don't get striped off...)
> listing the GRASS modules in the "bin" directory - one lists all of the
> ".exe" modules and one lists all of the ".bat" modules. Why are there both
> formats? How are we supposed to run (shell) scripts calling the modules?
> It just doesn't make sense having the two different formats in the same
> folder... all of the modules should be executables or all of the modules
> should be Windows Batch files. Having the mix makes it very hard to
> program.
> Thanks
> Chris
>
> Chris Bartolomei P.E.
> Engineer/Scientist
> ENSCO, Inc.

> bartolomei.chris@

> From: grass-user [

> grass-user-bounces at .osgeo

> ] On Behalf Of Helmut Kudrnovsky [

> hellik@

> ]
> Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:00 AM

> grass-user at .osgeo

> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] why is v.build.all (and many others) a windows
> batch file and not an executable?
>
>>They modules should all be compiled executables so legacy shell >scripts
> users have can run them ...
>
> AFAIK there were always a distinction in GRASS between compiled code and
> scripts since the beginning.
>
> the motivation of the switch to python scripts from grass6 to grass7 was
> cross platform compatiliby.
>

> -----
> best regards
> Helmut
> --
> Sent from the Grass - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

> grass-user at .osgeo

> The information contained in this email message is intended only for the
> use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain
> information that is privileged and sensitive. If you are not the intended
> recipient, or otherwise have received this communication in error, please
> notify the sender immediately by email at the above referenced address and
> note that any further dissemination, distribution or copying of this
> communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> The U.S. Export Control Laws regulate the export and re-export of
> technology originating in the United States. This includes the electronic
> transmission of information and software to foreign countries and to
> certain foreign nationals. Recipient agrees to abide by these laws and
> their regulations -- including the U.S. Department of Commerce Export
> Administration Regulations and the U.S. Department of State International
> Traffic in Arms Regulations -- and not to transfer, by electronic
> transmission or otherwise, any content derived from this email to either a
> foreign national or a foreign destination in violation of such laws.

> bin_bat_files.txt (2K)
> <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/attachment/5264356/0/bin_bat_files.txt>
> [...]

Please have a look at

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2016-May/080044.html

windows batch files are executables in sense of MS windows operating
systems.

thus there are all executables in \bin.

it's a limitation of msys that Windows batch files aren't recognized as
executables.

-----
best regards
Helmut