[GRASS-user] why is v.build.all (and many others) a windows batch file and not an executable?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu May 5 06:48:31 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Bartolomei.Chris
<Bartolomei.Chris at ensco.com> wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for their feedback and information on this issue, you folks are awesome!
> While I think that there could have been a way to move forward with python and yet not break the legacy shell scripts users have when migrating, I understand the changes now.

Well, we spent *significant* time on this. Please see the discussion
which spanned over months as mentioned earlier here.
Of course fresh ideas are always welcome.

> I do have a work-around that seems to be ok with msys - basically just spelling out the .bat file for those commands that are not executables... this way I only have to rewrite the afflicted module commands. Since I have to update the commands for syntax anyway, then it's not too bad.

Can you please post an example here or add it directly to the Wiki page:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Converting_Bash_scripts_to_Python

This will help others then, too.

> Better than having to translate into a different language (I am from California afterall ... we only speak "dude" here...lol ...)
> Thanks again!
> :)
> Chris

cheers