[GRASS-user] postgres connection failure

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Sat Nov 19 10:45:43 PST 2016

Friends,

    I recently made some changes to postgresql (deleted from package
manager and installed from source 9.5.1).  It was a hassle because they
install in different locations and put the bin files in different
places, etc.  It's all working now, except for GRASS, which seems to be
running a command from the old installation and failing to connect.  E.g.

GRASS GIS 7.3.svn > db.connect driver=pg
     database="host=127.0.0.1,dbname=beartooth"
GRASS GIS 7.3.svn > db.tables
DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
Connection failed.
could not connect to server: No such file or directory
	connections on Unix domain socket
         "/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

HOWEVER

GRASS GIS 7.3.svn > pgsql -h 127.0.0.1 -d beartooth -p 5432
psql (9.5.1)
Type "help" for help.
\d

beartooth=# \d
              List of relations
  Schema |       Name       | Type  | Owner
--------+------------------+-------+--------
  public | boundary         | table | dvrbts
  public | draft_map        | table | dvrbts
    .         .                  .       .
    .         .                  .       .
  public | vmap             | table | dvrbts
(31 rows)
\q

run from inside GRASS shows that postgres is running and accepting
connections on the default port.

The connection failure message is commonly produced from a mismatch of
versions of postgres, so I'm guessing that somewhere GRASS is trying the
old version.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave

GRASS GIS 7.3.svn (r69510)
Linux luthertucker 4.8.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 10 17:22:48 CET
2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux