[GRASS-user] map display query and layers

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Mon Oct 3 16:13:00 PDT 2016

Markus, The material at the wiki (url below) did not work for me, but it
DID provide the clues I needed to get things to work.  I can't speak for
other Arch linux users, but I don't have sudo configured and just su to
root when necessary.  So, the posted script failed when I didn't have
permission to sudo ln -s.  In addition, since I don't sudo, I don't
quite understand the path being constructed.  $HOME for someone using
sudo is presumably their home directory (not root), and creating
$HOME/usr/bin seems like an odd idea to me.  so,

su
ln -s /usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/bin/python
ln -s /usr/bin/python2.7-config /usr/bin/python-config
exit

worked.  That means that from now on python2 is the default, as opposed
to python3, but I'm fine with that.  Then, I don't have all the
libraries required by the config command (notably liblas, maybe more),
so the config command needed to be edited for me, and there were several
libraries I didn't include in addition to freetype.  Others may have
different needs and experiences.

Again, I didn't sudo, but

make
su
make install
exit

worked of course.  Finally, I now have /usr/bin/grass70 as GRASS-7.0.4
and /usr/local/bin/grass70 as GRASS-7.0.5.  /usr/bin precedes
/us/local/bin so I am at present entering /usr/local/bin/grass70 to
start GRASS-7.0.5.  I think

mv /usr/bih/grass70 /usr/bin/grass704
mv /usr/local/bin/grass70 /usr/bin/grass705

might be my solution to have both available.

Thanks, Dave

P.S. the subject on this rthread should probably have been switched to
Arch linux GRASS build, but I left it alone to allow tracking

On 10/03/16 15:18, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Dave Roberts <droberts at montana.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>>     Given your kind offer I elected to try and compile GRASS again. This
>> time I was successful (after a few false starts).  The primary problem was
>> python confusion, where arch linux assumes python3 as the default, and I had
>> not done the symbolic links  correctly to redicrect to python2.  After that
>>
>> ./configure \
>>    --without-freetype \
>>    --with-postgress \
>>    --with-readline
>>
>> worked successfully.  I'm now testing GRASS-7.0.5.
>
> Glad you solved it! Please verify if all here is ok:
>
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Arch_Linux
>
> Best,
> Markus

David W. Roberts                                     office 406-994-4548
Professor and Head                                      FAX 406-994-3190
Department of Ecology                         email droberts at montana.edu
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460