[GRASS-user] r.lake questions [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 5 12:56:16 PDT 2016

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Let me refine my answer; perhaps that will help. Given a LiDAR DEM and
> coordinates for a point on the map, what modules will predict (and display
> on an output map) the area flooded for a given height of standing water
> with higher elevations that that point?

   There's a simple solution to this: using r.contour I created a contour map
of the area. I can mark the 'dam' elevation and calculate areas of higher
elevation. That should suit the purpose.

   Without a perenial stream, or even stream channels, normal hydrological
models have nothing with which to work. So, the above solution is the most
parsimonious one.

Thanks, all,

Rich