[GRASS-user] d.what.vect highlighting

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Wed Oct 19 08:12:47 PDT 2016

Anna,

     Sorry, my two emails arrived in the wrong order due to some odd
behavior of the email system.  Comments interspersed.

On 10/19/16 08:47, Anna Petrášová wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Dave Roberts <droberts at montana.edu> wrote:
>> Recent versions of GRASS (at least as of 7.3, maybe sooner) added a
>> highlight feature to the wx query tool (or d.what.vect) that paints the
>> selected feature yellow for identification.  This works well when the map is
>> all gray polygons, but changes the color scheme of colored thematic maps in
>> a way I find confusing.
>>
>> I would have expected that it would only influence the polygon I click on,
>> but often other polygons change color as well, depending on their cat values
>> in other tables.
>>
>> Is there a way to turn this behavior off?
>
> I don't think so. The problem is, it highlights all features with the
> same category. Maybe this should be changed to highlight just the
> specific feature? The underlying function already supports that, so it
> should be easy to change. Should it be in settings perhaps?

You are quite right about this behavior.  It would be nice to have a
switch between highlighting cats and specific polygons.

As it turns out, however, the issue is related to ticket 3174 (see "map
display query" email chain of Oct 4), where the query tool is reporting
all layers, not just the layer specified in the d.vect command.  In this
case, the highlighting is based on cats in a different layer than the
one I'm interested in, so perhaps when ticket 3174 is resolved the
highlighting issue will go away as well.

> Please create a ticket for this so that we don't forget about it.

OK. Last time I lacked a mantra and you did the ticket for me.  I'll
step up and get engaged.

Thanks for your always prompt and helpful answers, Dave