[GRASS-user] Extracting vegetation phenology from Landsat-based time series

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sun Oct 30 04:37:29 PDT 2016

Nikos Alexandris:

>> is there a GRASS-native, of GRASS-friendly, practical tool or tutorial
>> or implementation of models, as in the TIMESAT [0] software or SPIRITS
>> [1], to exctract phenological parameters from NDVI (or, preferrably
>> EVI2) times series?
>>
>> Thank you, Nikos
>>
>> [0] http://web.nateko.lu.se/timesat/timesat.asp
>> [1] http://spirits.jrc.ec.europa.eu/download/software/

Sajid Pareeth:

>I was also looking for the same functionalities very recently. Closest
>solution i could find is the 'greenbrown' package in R. Atleast we could
>make use of the GRASS-R interface to implement the work flow.
>
>Phenology function in this package has a good comprehensive list of
>functions as in timestat and spirits.
>See fig4 here: http://greenbrown.r-forge.r-project.org/phenology.php
>
>If you find anything else, please do post here.
>
>And above all, it would be really great to have these functionalities in
>GRASS ;)

Thank you Sajid.

As I am not an expert in cropping cycles monitoring, I
naively thought there would be more or less some ready to use tools in
the GFOSS domain (TIMESAT requires Matlab, SPIRITS works only under
Windows).

R is good, but there is still the back-and-forth step.  There is also a "french" tool for QGIS:
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/VERSAO_VegaMonitor/

At the moment I am looking for an over-simplified way to just
hint/classify surfaces on which multiple cropping cycles per year take
place (related to industrial agricultural surfaces).  Something to get
going.

Given TGRASS, if we find a practical algorithm, it shouldn't be too hard
to implement it GRASS-natively.

Nikos