[GRASS-user] grass73: python module name issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 7 10:12:04 PDT 2016

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016, Vaclav Petras wrote:

> The Python the Python tab in GUI *is* the Python running the GUI.

   And that's what the first line in the tab display box indicates.

> If it is able to import numpy there, it should be able to import it during
> startup.

   That it is not importing during startup is the problem here that needs
fixing.

> Does the g.gui give you the numpy messages?

   Not in the GUI window, but in the virtual console, yes.

Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
GRASS 7.3.svn (Oregon-Dayton):~ > Numeric,numarray or NumPy not found.

             This module requires the Numeric/numarray or NumPy module,
             which could not be imported.  It probably is not installed
             (it's not part of the standard Python distribution). See the
             Numeric Python site (http://numpy.scipy.org) for information on
             downloading source or binaries.

   Displayed 3 times, once for each file seeking to access numpy.

> I can see the `/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages` path in all the sys.path
> lists you posted. If numpy is a subdir with __init__.py, then Python
> should pick it up. Although numpy is a bit special since it has also a C
> part...

> I can copy with wxPython: 3.0.2.0 (and Python 2.7.10, any GRASS).

   It should also work with wxPython-2.8.12.1 and python-2.7.5. But, when I
highlighted the text with the trackball it would not paste in the alpine
urxvt window. Alpine's a text-based MUA, not a GUI-based one.

Rich