[GRASS-user] How to sum a hundred of raster maps using r.mapcalc

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Sep 9 08:22:00 PDT 2016

On 09/09/16 17:09, Laurent C. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> You can use r.series for that and pass the list of maps that you get with
>> g.list directly into r.series using back ticks, or you can also pass a file
>> with all map names. Check the manual for more examples:
>> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass73/manuals/r.series.html
>>

> Hello,
>
> Interesting, I always used mapcalc for this. Do you know what are the
> advantages of using r.series instead of mapcalc for this type of job?

It provides a lot of aggregate statistics that would be more complicated
in r.mapcalc (at least you would need two calls to r.mapcalc), such as
standard deviation, median, etc.

Also, you don't have to construct the formula. Just put a list of map
names in a file (this is really useful if you have many maps as
otherwise you might go beyond the allowed command line length) and run
r.series with the desired indicator.

Moritz