[GRASS-user] GRASS raster curvature analysis type

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 13:47:24 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:
>>> georges wrote

>>> I can't tell you directly which algorithm is used.
>>>
>>> fortunately GRASS GIS is open source; so maybe have a look at the source
>>> code to check:
>>>
>>> r.slope.aspect:
>>>
>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/r.slope.aspect/main.c
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> r.resamp.rst
>>>
>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/r.resamp.rst/main.c
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>> also r.param.scale:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/r.param.scale/

IIUC, Gaussian and Mean curvatures are based on principal curvatures.
Principal curvatures in turn are calculated for an orthonormal basis.
r.param.scale calculates different principal curvatures for different
bases (z-axis and the surface normal vector). You can obtain Gaussian
or Mean curvatures from these principal curvatures.

Markus M