[GRASS-user] Importing data in .atx/.gdb format

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 13 14:46:57 PDT 2016

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, Markus Neteler wrote:

> GRASS supports many common GIS formats, and many uncommon ones too.
> The primary import/export tool is called GDAL/OGR. It is the Rosetta
> Stone of the free GIS world:
> - Supported raster formats via r.in.gdal (for example importing GeoTiffs)
> - Supported vector formats via v.in.ogr (for example importing Shapefiles)

> Please suggest what to add (or you may edit directly).

Markus,

   Raster files such as those available in ESRI Grid format include a file
named prj.adf. That's a pretty good clue it contains the projection
informaiton that grass needs to create a location.

   Vector files available as ESRI Shapefiles include a *.prj which grass uses
to define a location's projection.

   The vector files available in ESRI, Garmin, etc. open file grid format
have extensions of .atx, .gdb*, and .spx; at least, those are the ones I
see in the transportation map I want to import. They all seem to be database
files, not projection files. I've tried the .atx and several flavors of
.gdb* without success.

   And, now that I moved ~/grassdata to ~/data/grassdata (and modified
~/.grass7/rc to reflect the new path) grass does not recognize
~/data/grassdata/ODOT2014/ as a location available for selection in the
initial dialog box.

   What I'd like to learn is how to specify a location using .atx or .gdb
files. Then I could move these data in there and import them prior to
reprojecting them to the current project subdirectory. I'd be happy to write
this procedure on the wiki page once I had something useful to write.

Thanks,

Rich