[GRASS-user] Location not displayed when grass started

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 14 13:48:12 PDT 2016

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, Blumentrath, Stefan wrote:

> Good to see that you don`t give up even if you ran into several issues or
> undocumented peculiarities.

Stefan,

   I've used grass since 4.0 and, before I defenestrated and moved everything
to linux, MapInfo. In the late 1980s I used PC-ARC/Info so I'm quite
familiar with GIS software and the myriad of source data formats.

> As for the grass database: I am not sure if I understand your question
> well, but in principle only GRASS itself should create or delete files and
> folders within the GRASS database.

   That's what I've believed, too. But when grass creates a new location it
wants the projection or geographic coordinates to assign from a source file.
Other than the metadata.xml file with this data set I have no file to inform
grass of the information it wants.

> In short, do not write or delete files and folders in your GRASS database
> "manually" you can messup your DB. You would not save shape files in the
> FGDB directory either, would you?

   That's why I put the FGDB files in their own subdirectory.

   With point data I let grass define a WGS84 location and a new mapset. Then
outside of grass I added the two .txt files, one in ASCII point format the
other in Standard format. Grass had no problems running v.in.ascii on these
files.

Rich