[GRASS-user] Importing data in .atx/.gdb format [RESOLVED ... REALLY!]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 14 14:47:57 PDT 2016

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:

> "." is this really your directory which holds the filegdb data?

Helmut,

   Bash recognizes this as cwd (current working directory). However, ...

   Here's a summary of what I did so that others can gain from my learning
and import a OFGDB data file on the first try.

   0.  Run ogrinfo -al on the source directory and direct output to a text
file. In my case it produced a 2.4G output file. Read from the top (less
output.txt | less) the projection information, including the EPSG projection
code.

   1.  With the data source in a temporary directory I started grass73 and
created a new location: ODOT2014.gdb using the proper EPSG projection code
(and sub-variety number) and a new mapset, data_source.gdb. Exited grass

   2.  Copied (could have moved) all data files from their temporary
directory to ~/data/grassdata/ODOT2014.gdb/data_source.gdb. Restarted grass.

   3.  Using the GUI: File -> Import vector (v.in.ogr). Select source as
Directory, format as OpenFileGDB, point to
~/data/grassdata/ODOT2014.gdb/data_source.gdb, and click the "Import"
button.

   4.  Make a pot of coffee. Return to computer and see all the roads
(highways, roads, streets) in the state displayed in the Map Display window.

Many thanks again to everyone for your patience and helpful responses,

Rich