[GRASS-user] Topology built on demand

Luiz Andrade lcoandrade at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:15:55 PDT 2016

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your answer.
Let me clarify the terms I've used.
Our Spatial Data Structure is a set of 382 classes that are separated in 13
categories (e.g hydrography, vegetation and so on...).
Each category has a set of classes. In this email you can see a small
extract of the hydrography category.

In the case shown in the picture it is possible to see that objects
(features ) of the class called Recife (Reef in english) must be inside the
objects (features) of the class Massa_Dagua (Water polygons). The same
happens to the class called Ilha (Island in english). It's objects must be
inside the objects from the class Massa_Dagua.

This means that, those classes (reef, island, water polygons) must form one
topology. When I edit the reefs I must guarantee that no overlaps will be
formed between reefs and water polygons. This means that I need to move
together reefs and water polygons vertexes.

We have a QGIS plugin called DSGTools that creates a PostGIS databases
according to our structure, but PostGIS topology is still quite slow and I
can't deliver topology tools for my users using it.

This way, I want to append my PostGIS layers into one GRASS topology
(importing into GRASS) to be able to edit my vectors according to what is
determined in our Spatial Data Documentation (unfortunately it is
everything in Portuguese, but if you want, you can take a look on it here
http://www.geoportal.eb.mil.br/images/PDF/ET_EDGV_Vs_2_1_3.pdf).

So, this is my problem. I hope you can understand better now.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Luiz Claudio.