[GRASS-user] Question on memory allocation and use

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 23 11:51:10 PDT 2016

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016, Markus Metz wrote:

> Apparently there are less than 52 MB of free memory left. The resulting
> vector contours must be quite large. Try to export GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM=1
> before running r.contour.
>
> Maybe also use a larger step or less levels.

   Took a different approach by reducing the size of the source DEMs (which
cover a very large area compared to the area of interest).

   Using v.to.rast I converted the project boundary vector to a raster file,
then made it into a mask with r.mask. The mask then limited the area of the
source DEMs with g.copy.

   Now re-running r.contour on the bare earth DEM; it should easily fit into
the 4G RAM on this host.

Thanks, Markus,

Rich