[GRASS-user] Question on memory allocation and use

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 23 10:37:22 PDT 2016

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016, Markus Metz wrote:

> Apparently there are less than 52 MB of free memory left. The resulting
> vector contours must be quite large. Try to export GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM=1
> before running r.contour.
> Maybe also use a larger step or less levels.

Markus,

   Tried both. Still cannot complete the creation of contours from the
raster.

> export GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM=1
> time r.contour --overwrite in=highest_hit_2010 out=highest_hit_contours step=0.5
WARNING: Vector map <highest_hit_contours> already exists and will be
          overwritten
Reading data...
  100%
Displacing data...
  100%
Writing vector contours (total levels 1313)...
  100%
WARNING: 212116 crossings found
Writing attributes...
Building topology for vector map <highest_hit_contours at topography>...
Registering primitives...
Current region rows: 15367, cols: 10015
ERROR: G_realloc: unable to allocate 131280000 bytes of memory at
        lib/vector/diglib/cindex.c:113

real	219m0.083s
user	92m5.866s
sys	47m24.872s

   I created a mask of the raster DEM using the project bounds (which I set
as the computational region) yet it appears that the entire DEM coverage is
being converted to contours and failing.

Thanks,

Rich